Israel70 @ FinchleyFest: “HaTikva – Our Hope”
Celebrating Israel’s independence and exploring our hopes for the next 70 years
Saturday 21 April , 10am-10pm at Gilwell Park
An FRS Community Shabbat in the Forest
- Shabbat services
- Welcoming our scholar in residence Robin Moss, Director of Strategy at UJIA.
- Learning opportunities, discussion, films and workshops.
- Outdoor adventures for all ages
- A programme of activities for children of all ages, including drama workshops, cookery, arts and crafts and outdoor adventure acivities.
- Hear stories from our own members who witnessed the birth of the Jewish State in 1948
- A 70th birthday party with music and dancing led by the fabulous Shir and the FRS Junior Choir
- Israeli-style BBQ (meaty and vegetarian options available). *Please ensure you book for dinner when you sign up
Place are filling up for our day-long celebration of community and Israel. We are excited to announce just some of the inspiring educators and entertainers who will join us on the day. Book now using the form at the bottom of this page
- Robin Moss (UJIA), our scholar in residence
- Luke Akehurst (We Believe in Israel)
- Yaron Shavit (trustee of KKL-JNF, acting Vice-Chair of the World Union of Progressive Judaism)
- Hannah Weisfeld (Yachad)
- Dr Jo-Ann Myers (Director of Jewish Education, Leo Baeck College, FRS member)
- David Jacobs (historian and FRS member)
- Laurie Kaye (The Abraham Fund Initiatives)
- Israeli film screening
- Music and Dancing in the evening led by Shir
- Performance from the FRS Junior Choir
FinchleyFest is based at Gilwell Scout Park, and during the day there will be opportunity to try out some of the park’s outdoor activities:
- Chalutzim (Pioneer) training This team-building activity follows in the footsteps of the early pioneers who trained in the English countryside before moving on to establish their own Kibbutzim in the land of Israel.
- Kumsitz Cooking Learn how to cook on a kumsitz – a traditional Israeli open fire.
- Adventure activities, crafting, drama, cookery, singing and more.
- Five strands of activity, led by our youth and education team, suitable for all ages from pre-school to Year 13.
- We will celebrate Shabbat with a choice of creative and reflective morning services, led by our clergy team.
Transport and the Environment
- Gilwell Park is approx. 40 minutes drive from Finchley. We encourage members to minimise the environmental impact of this day by car-sharing. We can also arrange lifts for FRS members who wish to come to morning services in the shul before moving on to Gilwell Park. Please indicate in your booking form if you can offer a lift to others, or if you need a lift yourself.